WHAT CAN CO-ENZYME (or Co-Q10) DO FOR MY SKIN?
Co-Q10 occurs naturally in all of our body cells. There it is essential for energy production and thus jointly responsible for the basic functions of the skin - such as regeneration, growth and repair processes.
WHAT IS CO-Q10 AND HOW DOES IT WORK?
The Co-Enzyme Q10 (also called ubiquinone) is a vitamin-like substance. It occurs naturally in every cell of the body and makes a vital contribution there. It's essential for energy production to fulfil the skin's basic functions such as regeneration and repair.
As our skin is the outermost layer of the body, it is constantly exposed to various external factors, including oxidative stress caused by the sun's UV rays. Plus, internal processes can cause the release of free radicals which cause further damage to our cells and accelerate signs of ageing.
WHAT IS COENZYME Q10'S ROLE?
What is coenzyme Co-Q10’s role and why is it so effective in skincare? Co-Q10 fulfils two tasks at the same time: It provides energy and protects the cells as an antioxidant.
- Energy generation: Co-Q10 is particularly necessary for cellular energy production in the mitochondria, the "power plants" in our cells. In this way, it strengthens the heart, muscles and nerves.
- Defence function: As an antioxidant, Co-Q10 also fights off free radicals inside and outside the cells. Put simply, these are aggressive molecules that occur naturally in the body. In particular, UV radiation, stress and environmental toxins can increase the number of free radicals. If the concentration is too high, free radicals lead to oxidative stress. This can damage the cells and promote inflammation, but also accelerate skin ageing. This is why Co-Q10 is so essential for smooth, healthy-looking skin.
THE BENEFITS OF CO-ENZYME Q10:
What is Co-Q10 good for?
Here are 6 benefits of 100% skin-identical Co-Q10 for the skin:
- Gives skin the energy for natural repair & regenerate
One of the key benefits of Co-Q10 is that it provides the cells in your skin with the critical energy needed for it to be able to repair and regenerate itself, meaning it is able to better carry out its basic functions.
- Energised skin equals a more radiant complexion
Skin that is said to look youthful and energetic generally contains high levels of Co-Q10. This is because, with the energy that Co-Q10 is providing the skin, it can repair and regenerate at a faster rate to stay looking young and energised. On the other hand, as skin ages, its natural levels of Co-Q10 begin to diminish, meaning it does not repair and regenerate as fast, so can look dull and tired. This is why as you age, adding Co-Q10 products to your skincare routine can help you to maintain a radiant complexion.
- Coenzyme Q10 Can Help to Reduce Sun Damage
Co-Enzyme Q10 is a powerful antioxidant that helps to defend skin from the adverse effects of sun exposure that are caused by free radicals. Reducing sun damage also helps to prevent sun-induced signs of ageing.
- Co-Q10 supports the production of collagen
Collagen makes up almost 80% of our skin and almost a third of all proteins in our body. Co-Enzyme Q10 helps to support the production of collagen, which helps to: increase cell regeneration, protect delicate organs, strengthen bones, tendons and joints and maintain skin elasticity.
- Co-Q10 reduces the fine lines & wrinkles
With all the energy Co-Enzyme Q10 provides the skin and with it helping to support the production of collagen, it is a highly effective ingredient in creams that help to fight the signs of ageing skin - such as fine lines, wrinkles, crows feet and smile lines.
- Co-Q10 Helps to Promote an Even Skin Tone
Co-Enzyme Q10 can help to prevent hyperpigmentation and dark spots that are caused by an excess production of melanin. Co-Enzyme Q10 does this by helping to stop the production of tyrosinase which is the catalyst for melanin production.
Co-Q10 FOR THE SKIN:
BEIERSDORF IS A LEADER IN RESEARCH
The Beiersdorf researchers were among the first to research the use of Co-Q10 in skincare. To this day, the Co-Q10 products are in demand all over the world.
Co-Q10 in skincare: The result of research
The Zone research team has been tracking down the effects of Co-Q10 since the 1990s. Scientists have extensively studied the role of coenzyme Co-Q10 in human skin and have been integrating it into skincare products since 2004.
Key data of the Co-Q10 development
- 1957: The American scientist Frederick L. Crane discovers the coenzyme.
- 1978: British chemist Peter Dennis Mitchell receives the Nobel Prize in Chemistry. He had discovered how Co-Q10 works inside cells.
- 1990s: Beiersdorf scientists were among the first to investigate the effects of Co-Q10 on the skin and have been successfully using the anti-ageing ingredient in Zone Range since 2004.
- Today: Coenzyme Q10 is one of the most important active ingredients in anti-ageing care. It is used in body lotions, face creams, serums and in combination with other antioxidants such as vitamin C.
The Zone range contains scientifically advanced ingredients proven to impact the major biochemical reactions that contribute to skin ageing, fatigue and reducing wrinkles so that your skin is left smoother, firmer and healthier.
One of the primary causes of skin ageing is oxidative stress caused by continued sun exposure, as well as free radicals, which are formed as a result of sun damage.
Research has shown that regular use of anti-oxidants, at the correct concentration, (of which Co-Q10 is classified as the next generation), helps to slow down the ageing process of the skin. One of the many properties of Co-Q10, is that is supplies the energy for new cell formation. It is also an extremely powerful free-radical scavenger. This will result in a better quality cell will surface at a faster rate giving the skin a fresh and more vibrant look.
The body contains natural levels of Co-Q10 which starts declining at the age of 20 and could be reduced by as much as 25 % by the age of 40. It is therefore essential to start supplementing the reduction of Co-Q10 early, rather than later, before long-term damage occurs.
The Range is based on high concentrations of Co-Q10.
It helps to fight the biochemical and environmental triggers known to accelerate skin ageing, releasing powerful enzymes, skin-smoothing and helps fortify the skin with anti-pollution fighting antioxidants technology ahead of next-day exposure.
Back to Skin Type or Concern
Back to Home Page: