In the spirit of the New Year ahead, we come up with a list of New Year’s Resolutions for your skin. Most people have at least one terrible skincare habit, and hopefully, 2021 is the year in which that bad skincare habit gets kicked!
- Stay hydrated. Water is a great thing, and your skin needs a lot of it. Drink as much as you need throughout the course of the day. Try keeping a bottle of water with you at all times.
- Exercise! Okay, so this might coincide with a lot of people’s New Year’s resolutions to lose weight, but it is worth saying again. Regular cardiovascular exercise is absolutely crucial to keep blood circulating to all of the skin on your body. Hop on that treadmill!
- Diet! Like exercise, I’m sure many, many people already have this planned, but I suppose the skincare benefits could just add that extra motivation you need to stick with it. A poor diet can cause breakouts and sullen-looking skin, whereas a good diet can provide your body with all the nutrients you need for great skin. It’s worth it to watch what you eat (but don’t forget to cheat once in a while – it keeps even the most dedicated dieter sane).
- Sleep! Some people might scoff at the idea of making a New Year’s resolution to sleep for at least 8 hours a day, but it is a very valid resolution, especially for your skin. Not only can sleep help you keep those dark circles under your eyes at bay, but it also reduces stress, which is one of the primary causes of acne!
- Wash your face before bed. A well-hydrated, clean skin before you go to bed will give your skin a chance to renew.
- Re-evaluate your skincare needs. Have you updated your skincare regimen lately? Perhaps your skin has changed. Maybe you need to focus on a different problem area. Maybe you just need to adapt it to the current season. Either way, from time to time, take a look at the different parts of your regimen and ask yourself what each product is bringing to the table.
- Try! More important than trying to correct any of your bad habits is trying in the first place. While many of you probably can’t imagine what it would be like to not have a very specific skincare regimen, I’m sure there are those out there who can’t even begin to imagine having a regimen, much less sticking to it. The most important part to good skincare, however, is trying in the first place. Every little bit helps. Every step in the right direction is going to pay off in the long run. It’s never too late to start treating your skin right!
Wear a moisturizer with sunscreen daily. Ask anybody in the industry for their #1 beauty or anti-ageing tip, and you’ll always get the same answer. Protect your skin from the sun and you’ll keep your skin looking young and feeling healthy!